Saturday, February 9, 2008

My Workout Routine

My personal training sessions are in group format. It’s not exactly one on one with a personal trainer like most gyms are. And, I have say, I think this is better. You have a team of people rooting you on. It’s a small group, maybe about seven people on a given day. To switch things up, each day we do something different. However, there is one thing that is a constant, we must do at least 3 ½ miles of cardio activity every day. The program itself runs from Monday-Thursday with Friday being an optional day. On Fridays, D. wants us to do at least 5-miles of cardio. I have to admit, when I first started, it was a challenge for me to complete the 3 ½ miles. Just this past week I was able to complete my 3 ½ miles on Wednesday and Thursday.

So, as I was saying, each day we do something different. One day we can have a spin cycle class for 15 minutes; another day we will box for 15 minutes; on another day we will do football drills (which I’ve grown to LOVE); we did Pilates a couple of times; we just did Yoga yesterday (Friday); some days we lift weights, do crunches, jump rope, and even do martial art kicks; and, we also do some form of step aerobics.

My goal is to workout 6-days per week, Monday-Saturday, with Sundays off to rest. I am typically at the gym from around 5:15AM until approx. 7:30AM Mon-Fri. Within that time period, I manage to get my cardio in and have my training session with the group for either 30 or 45 minutes. On Saturdays I try to go when the gym opens at 7:00AM and I take as long as I want. I don’t have to work on weekends, so I am in no rush to leave. Typically, I like to sit in the sauna after I workout, by my time during the week will not allow me to do it. So, I usually sit in the sauna on Saturdays.

In doing the cardio, I have to do 1 ½ miles on the tread climber (TC). For those who don’t know what a TC is, it’s a treadmill (T) that moves up and down as you walk on it. I have managed to work myself up to 3mph and the fastest that it can go is 4mph. I still walk on the minimum “incline” while almost everyone else in my group is on maximum. I think I’ll be there soon, both at 4mph and on the maximum incline. In addition to the TC, I have to do 2-miles on the T. I am still at a walking speed on the T, but each day I am increasing my speed. My goal is to be able to run/slow job on it shortly. So far, my best time to complete my 2-miles has been 27min and 30sec. This is done at about a 3.3 or 3.4 speed on a zero percent incline.

The one thing I love the most about my workout program is that I sweat. When I first mentioned my sweating, my friends and coworkers looked at me as if I were crazy. Then, I had to explain to them…I am not a person who sweats very easily. So, when I do sweat, I know that I am getting a great workout. A few times, I have literally had sweat dripping down both sides of my face and down my neck. I love it!!!

So, there you have a glimpse into my workout routine. Care to join in?

~Traycee~

No comments: