Saturday, February 9, 2008

The Beginning

I’ve been overweight for most of my adult life…I am now 28 years old. Over the past several years, I have been “dieting” off and on. Last year, I joined a gym with the hopes of finally getting into shape and shedding these unwanted pounds. What started off as a good idea with goals was derailed within about 2 months time. I saw myself going to the gym less and less and wasting more and more money. Then, there were times when I just didn’t feel like going to the gym at all. The next thing I knew, an entire year had gone by and I was right where I started at the beginning of 2007.

So, regrettably, on Sunday, January 6, 2008, I went into my gym to cancel my membership. The personal trainer manager happened to be there that day. He asked me to step into his office (I know, such a cliché) so that he could talk to me. After 15 minutes, he convinced me give his personal training program a try…a one week trial basis, for free. I couldn’t pass that up. I knew I needed help in getting on the right track, so I took the challenge. The only catch, I had to be at the gym the very next day at 5:45 AM. Much to my surprise, I made it. (I am not a morning person.)

On that first day, B. (whom I have grown to love dearly), took me into the spin cycle classroom and had a one-on-one boxing session with me. Even though it was tough, I loved every single minute of it. I was hooked from the first punch. I came back the next day. It was painful, my arms and thighs were on fire from the boxing session that Monday. Then, I went back the next day. At the end of our session, D. (the manager), called me into his office again. He asked me how I wanted to pay for his training program, in full or in installments. I was shocked! How did he know that I was going to sign up for his program? How did he know that through all of the pain and sweat, I loved it? How did he know that I was going to stick it out for six weeks? Let me remind you, we were only halfway through my free week. But, he knew. I couldn’t even deny it.

I must be honest; my weight has not gone down much at all…maybe about 8 pounds or so. BUT, I have noticed other changes. The first change came when I did laundry and dried my clothes. We all know that usually when you dry clothes, they tend to shrink a little bit. Well, I put on a pair of work pants and I did not have to suck my stomach in!!! I almost cried. Another change that I noticed, muscle in my arms. When I drive my car, I tend to hold the steering wheel with one hand and wrap my other hand around and just hold onto my forearm. I don’t know why I do it, it’s just a habit…and it makes me comfortable when I drive. So, as I’m driving, I felt something a little hard on my arm. As soon as I got home, I took off my shirt and flexed a muscle. I HAD A MUSCLE…SHOOT, I HAD TWO MUSCLES (one in each arm).

My coworkers began to notice some changes as well. They said after the first week, they immediately began to notice me toning up. I didn’t believe them until I bumped into a friend I hadn’t seen in about a month or so. The first thing out of her mouth was, “You look slimmer.” All I could muster out was, “I’m trying.” I was in so much pain from working out that morning, I could barely walk. It wasn’t until then that I began to believe that my body was actually changing due to my workout regime.

Now, here I am in the 2nd week of February, and I am still sticking it out.

~Traycee~

No comments: